Monday, July 8, 2013

8 miles


Man. I am T-I-R-E-D. This past week of training has not been great. I’m following a generic program I found online, and it recently increased the runs to 5 times a week! I just can’t keep up with that! So, I consulted a good friend who has been at this for a lot longer than I have. She told me to cut on the Sunday easy runs. (They are always only 2-3 miles) But it’s the middle of the week schedule that is near impossible to keep up with. It’s Tues, Weds, and Thurs! I’m off of work on Tues and Thurs so I can usually manage those. But on Weds my runs are horrid. Painful. Exhausting. Mostly because they are evening treadmill runs. After I’ve worked for 8 hrs (doing rehab with stroke patients, hip and knee replacements- all of that jazz), after I’ve cooked dinner, after I’ve somewhat cleaned up my massive mess from cooking dinner. So, my legs are tired and my mentality is not fit for 4 or 5 miles in the dusty basement. So, my new goal is 3-4 runs a week and no more moving my long run to Sunday’s. 

Here are a few things that I learned on my most recent (and LONGEST) run: I can run 8 miles!!!! Bodyglide is a must. Hydration is a must. Maybe don’t run at 2 in the afternoon in early July when the humidity is 80%. Power gel’s are yuck, but amazing. I need to plan better and space out said gels. I can run 8 miles!!!! My family’s support carries my 90% of the way. I need to stop repeatedly counting my cadence during runs. (It gets quite old after counting to 100 42 times. Lol) I love my new Brooks running shoes. I do not like my thick adidas running socks. It feels good to stink after such a workout. Knowing that a huge glass of chocolate milk is waiting for me at home carries me the other 10% of the way. :o) (hey, gotta refuel with carbs)  I’m allowed to think I’m awesome after running 8 miles. I can do this!! I AM GOING TO RUN A HALF MARATHON!!!!

                                                           (I'm really proud of this one) ;)

I know I’ve said it before, but running is such a whole body reset. When I’m at home –which- don’t get me wrong- I love to be home. And I love the fact that I’m knee deep in raising awesome little people. But the truth of the matter is when I’m home I am: a nurse, a referee, a pastor, a plumber, a teacher, a moral compass, a cook, a butt wiper, a hand washer, a housekeeper, a booger picker, an example, a laundry folder, a boo boo kisser, a judge and a jury, a police woman, a wife and a partner, a buddy, a playmate, a swing pusher, a librarian, a chauffer, a tv guide, AND I’m sure there are many hats that I’ve simply forgotten at this moment.
But, do you know what I am when I’m running? A runner. Plain and simple. There is something hugely awesome about simplifying things. It allows time for reflection on God, life, goals, plans. And running is so simple. My pace is getting slower for some reason. It frustrates the crap out of me, but I do not allow the negativity, because I’m so proud of myself. My pace will improve when I’m ready to do speed trials. That is not the goal of my first race.  So, to be perfectly cliché, it is what it is. Whether it’s 11:20/mi or 12:08/mi.

I can’t believe how close I am to my goal. I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m up for the challenge. As I sit here, my quads and glutes are throbbing. All day at work I felt like I was trudging through mud because my whole body is tired. (another reason why my long runs have to be on Saturday). But every time I move too quick and it makes me wince- it’s immediately followed by a smile, because I’m doing something that I never dreamt was possible. My body knows the honeymoon is over and the hard work is not going to be stopping anytime soon.  But I LOVE IT!!!

While I'm thinking about it, let me update ya on my mama. I don't know if I'm completely up to date, but I'll try... Her oncologist was not a bit pleased that the radiation oncologist told her she would get a chemo break.... He did give her 2 weeks off to rest, recover and EAT (she has lost a lot of weight). But she resumes chemo tomorrow and it will be every other week for 8 or 9 treatments. :( She is really bummed, but the good news is- they are removing one type of chemo and it's the one believed to be causing the majority of the horrible side effects. She still has a ton of tests to go through... But the plan for the immediate future is chemo. I pray daily (so do my kids and my hub) that her body will stay strong and that her heart will soften to certain taboo health topics- such as QUITTING SMOKING. I pray that she will wake up tomorrow and never want another cigarette. ever. It is ingesting poison just as chemo pumps poison. I'm not a smoker, so I don't know what it's like. But I definitely include it in my prayer. She's tougher than she thinks and she can do it!!!! So, if you think about it. Please say a quick prayer for her. :) It'd mean a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment